Reason for swelling and pain in both feet starting below the knee? Normal medical history

Question
I AM HAVING SWELLING IN BOTH THE FOOT STARTING FROM BELLOW THE KNEE AND PAIN ALSO START FROM KNEE TO FOOT
MY AGE IS 50 YEARS
HEIGHT 156 CM
WEIGHT 75 KG
MEDICAL HISTORY IS NORMAL
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 9 minutes later

Swelling in the feet can be due to various reasons as:
1)Not taking adequate fluids coupled with a poor diet high in salt and carbohydrates can cause ankle and feet swelling.
2)Air travel because air travel results in inactivity which causes blood to pool in your leg veins.
3)Other serious causes are congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude etc.

You should follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:

1)Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2)Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3)Elevate the legs when sitting and wear support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.
4)Keep your fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.

If the edema(swelling) persists then I suggest you an immediate Physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO, venous Doppler of the legs and urine tests done.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.