Reason for pain in arm after getting IV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I was given an IV in my left arm in the ER on Thurday and since then my viens hurt. The picture attached show one of my viens in my left arm. Is there a clot in it?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from superficialthrombophlebitis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX nawar Thanks for writing to HCM You are suffering form superficial thrombophlebitis.This is a common problem after I.V injections. You don't worry at all.Your condition is manageable. It is usually a benign self-limiting condition but it resolves slowly. You should try to keep your limb in slightly elevated position and can apply hot compression over the area. You can apply heparin sodium gel locally.It shortens the duration of signs and symptoms. Topical analgesia with non steroidal anti-inflammatory(NSAIDS) creams applied locally also control symptoms. If deeper clots (deep vein thrombosis) are also present then anticoagulates should be given. Antibiotics can be if you have an infection.This condition is confirmed by colour doppler. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Reason for pain in arm after getting IV? 25 minutes later
In the picture is that big vien cloged up ?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have inflamed superficial veins not blocked. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX nawar Thanks for writing back You have superficial thrombophlebitis.In this conditions superficial veins are inflamed not blocked. From pictures only superficial veins can be assessed.For asessmnet of deep veins,Colour doppler is needed. There are very less chances of involvement of deep veins. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX