Reason for occasional blood in bowel movement?

Not all the time but sometimes when i open my vowels i notice a bit of blood on toilet paper aftet wipingband few days ago i open my vowels there wad more thsn usual blood in toilet and quite a bit after wiping is this normal i dont know if it is and i may just had tore a bit of skin Also it doesent happen every single time so i dont know weayhetvto take it serious or not
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hemorrhoids or anal fissure. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to HCM. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Seeing a small amount of blood after wiping, on the outside of your stool, or in the toilet is most commonly caused by 1.Hemorrhoids - Hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels in the rectum or anus that can be painful, itchy, and can sometimes bleed. Painless rectal bleeding with a bowel movement is a common symptom of hemorrhoids. 2.Anal fissure - An anal fissure is a tear in the lining of the anus, the opening where feces are excreted. Anal fissures can cause bleeding and a sensation of tearing, ripping, or burning during or after a bowel movement. Other causes of rectal bleeding - There are many other causes of rectal bleeding, including colon cancer, colon polyps, colitis, and diverticulosis. If a patient comes to me with these symptoms first i would like to do physical examination which helps me to look for anal fissure or hemorrhoid. Then like to get few test done like stool routine test and endoscopic visualization of colon may required in few patients. You need to get examined by your doctor. Blood in stool is not a normal finding, which can be from minor changes in bowel , which needs to be evaluated and treated early to prevent further complications. Treatment depends on cause. Few life modifications are helpful in reducing your symptom: Daily regular moderate exercise for minimum 30 min, Diet rich in fiber content , fruits and vegetables, Have plenty of water, Stool softer medication Hope this information is helpful to you. Feel free to ask further related query, i will be glade to answer them. Wish you a good health. Regards