Reason for mucus and phlegm in throat after finishing a meal?

ENT Specialist
After I eat I have a large amount of mucus and phlegm in my throat. This usually happens within about 5 minutes of finishing a meal. What could this be about? Thanks
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: can be reflux Detailed Answer: Hello sir, It is possible that your are having Reflux disease - wherein the contents of the stomach reflux back into the food pipe. Kindly give me more details regarding your condition so that i can help you better. 1) History of cough . 2) History of heartburn. 3) Worsening of symptoms on lying down. Awaiting your response, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: Reason for mucus and phlegm in throat after finishing a meal? 54 minutes later
No history of cough. I do have heartburn sometimes. Symptoms don't seem to be worse when lying down. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: can try a course of medicines Detailed Answer: Hello sir, Reflux is a definite possibility. You need not ahve all the symptoms of reflux. The excessive mucus and phlegm is produced by your throat in response to the refluxed acid. You can take a course of antacids and prokinetics. Prokinetics are drugs that propel the stomach and promote gastric emptying. When the stomach empties faster then the chances of reflux are smaller. Usually a course is given for 6 weeks. If there is no relief from your symptoms then you may need an upper GI endoscopy. Here an endoscope wil be passed into your food pipe. The food pipe as well as the stoamch are then visualised on the monitor. This is the only sure way to diagnose reflux and other contributory conditions like hiatus hernia. Do not worry. Meet with a physician and start the medicines for now. You should also practice some geenral measures like 1) Eat frequently in smaller portions. 2) Practice simple breathing exercises. These help to improve tone of the sphincter at the lower end of the food pipe which in turn reduces reflux. 3) Do not lie down for 2 hours after having food. 4) Raise the head end of the bed by 2 inches by placing a XXXXXXX Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi