Reason for leg pain when getting up with previous lumbar surgeries?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When I go to get up I get shooting pains down both legs. I have to hold on to something to stop from falling. After a few hours, the pain subsides until the next morning. I have had to lumbar surgeries recently, and have slept in a recliner for 2 years.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: nerve compression at the level of lumbar spine. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The shooting pains down both the legs after getting up are likely to be due to stenosis of the foramina from which nerves come out causing the nerve compression at the level of lumbar spine. Physiotherapy like intermittent lumbar traction , back exercise reduces pressure of disc bulge for some time & gives relief. The following measures will help you • Lie on a hard bed. • Avoid forward bending. • Correct your posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL