Reason for itching penis without redness or sores?

For the past few days my penis has been itching me a lot. I never had this kind of itchiness before. It hasn't turned red, no sores, nothing different just very itchy. (I have been masturbating a bit more than usual though.) I haven't engaged in sexual activity in at least 6 months and I was wearing protection. Twice I had unprotected sex with the same woman more than three years ago. (About a month ago I did use a shaver to shave my pubic area and any hair on my penis, it's quite possible the itchiness is due to hair growth near the base of the penis, and that's all that I can think of.)
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be a fungal infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Itching on penis as you have described is most probably due to ring worm infection (Dermatophytes). It is easily curable with appropriate antifungal antibiotics both topical and systemic and anti-histamines for itching. Both have to be continued for at least 4 weeks to prevent recurrences on the advice of your Dermatologist. You may try an over the counter available ointment like Candid or clotrimazole twice daily on the affected parts for 4 weeks. Avoid sharing your clothes, towel, and soaps with others and avoid bathing in common pool. Use cotton inner-wears and avoid tight clothing and its continuous use more than 10-12 hours. The other possibilities are seborrheic Dermatitis, irritant contact dermatitis and may be due to shaving. These can be differentiated well by your dermatologist, and all can be easily managed well and he/she will help you recover fast. Using a 1% hydrocortisone cream available over the counter will also help. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Reason for itching penis without redness or sores? 12 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal for your prompt reply. So if I use the meds you suggested I should be fine? Also, what kind of doctor should I be looking for? In other words, what specialist doctor deals with things like these? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Dermatologist. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes. You can use the over the counter ointments I suggested. If the itching does not get better in a week then you should consult a dermatologist. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards