Reason for increase in blood sugar despite taking McLazide-M?

dear doctor, i have diabetese since last 3 years. i am 39 years male from mumbai. i am taking McLAZIDE-M three times a day before meal. my blood sugar is- fasting- 150 and pp-195. my question is- i go for morning walk every day. when i come back from morning exercise (walk) my blood sugar increases by 30 points always.WHY IS IT SO ? should i stop MORNING walk or reduce time span . i walk for 50 minutes everyday in the morning.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dose of anti-diabetic drugs need to be increased Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. There are two possibilities for paradoxical increase of blood sugar following exercise :- 1. Insulin is required to convert blood sugar into energy (required for utilization by the muscles and the body during exercise). Lack of insulin in blood may be the cause. Take your diabetic tablet 30 minutes BEFORE going for a walk. This will ensure adequate insulin response to burn sugar into energy during exercise. 2. Exercise causes excessive reduction in blood sugar (due to its utilization during exercise). So, a compensatory defensive mechanism comes into play, which causes rebound increase in blood sugar. You need to increase the night dose, as well as, morning dose of anti-diabetic drugs. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and modify the treatment accordingly. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Reason for increase in blood sugar despite taking McLazide-M? 5 hours later
so should i contine my exercise schedule? may i start exercise in the evening also.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Exercise twice daily Detailed Answer: Well, You may continue with your exercise in the morning. It would however, be more beneficial if you start with exercise in the evenings too. Exercise helps greatly in the control of blood sugar. Take care