Reason for inability to gain weight after spinal injury?

I can,t seem to gain weight. I injured my spin over a year ago and lost 20 lbs. and now weight even less?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clinical review, nutritionist's opinion Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Spine injury on its own cannot very much explain why you are not putting on weight. Weight gain shall depend on the diet and your health status. It is important to be very sure that no chronic condition that could be silently causing weight loss like cancer, chronic infections and other systemic diseases do exist. Your thyroid condition in this case of hypothyroidism, is no probable cause. It could have been a concern if you instead had hyperthyroidism. My suggestion if first to have a proper clinical review to exclude any chronic condition that could be causing weight loss. Secondly, it is important to know how your appetite has been evolving lately. A balanced and regular diet, rich in vegetables and fruits, proteins and required vitamins could lead to a normal weight recovery. Excessive weight gain of course would also have its adverse consequences. the opinion of a nutritionist in this case, after a proper clinical review , preferably by an internist would be most useful Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain