Reason for heart palpitations, churning stomach and labored breathing?

Hi i am a 70 year old male who suffered a severe attack of Anxiety two days ago.This included my Heart racing (fluttering and palpatations) My stomach churning which involved many trips to the toilet. My breathing was laboured and i felt really ill. This condition lasted most of the day but some times i felt better. This happened out of the blue and has left me depressed with a hoarse weak voice. This happened before (twice) and i thought i was having a heart attack. I have had a 24hour heart monitor fitted which proved nothing serious wrong there.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Panic disorder Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The condition that you are suffering from is called panic disorder. Its a very common condition and the fact that you have had these episodes before as well suggests all the more that it could be a panic disorder. The condition is treatable and there are plenty of drugs as well. Venlafaxine, paroxetine, escitalopram, mirtazapine are the drugs that will be useful for the therapy. Of them paroxetine is my drug of choice. Along with these drugs you can also take clonazepam or propranolol to symptomatically make you feel better. Some sessikns of cognitive behavioural therapy and psychoeduction will also make you feel better. You may discuss with your psychiatrist all these options. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.