Reason for hard lumps around belly button

General Surgeon
I HaveHard Lumps Around My Belly Button and they came about two weeks ago.but I have a fat belly and the lumps are in the fat.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hernia or lipoma. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Hard lumps around belly button can be caused by a hernia in that area. Due to hernia, fat tissue from the abdominal cavity gets out. If this fat stuck, gets hard and can be painful. Such lumps can be palpated in the fatty tissue. Other possible reason is benign skin lesion like lipoma. The best way to diagnose it is to perform an ultrasound of this area. If its hernia, needs to be repaired. Lipoma can be left alone. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.