Reason for fluctuation in blood pressure at night?

At night when relaxed my blood pressure drops to about 90/60 and sometimes 80/50 but if i get up and move around it returns back to normal. Scared to sleep!!!
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 minutes later
Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. It is perfectly normal for BP to come down during complete physical relaxation, particularly during sleep (called basal BP). There is nothing to worry about as long as you have no known medical problems or any symptoms. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Reason for fluctuation in blood pressure at night? 2 minutes later
Sometimes i do feel a little dizzy upon waking but goes away as soon as i stand
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try conservative measures given below Detailed Answer: OK XXXX. Transient dizziness on waking up, is usually normal. However, in a few cases, this may constitute a condition called, Vasovagal pre-syncope (inadequate response to change in posture), either due to reduced salt and water intake (leading to dehydration), some medications (let me know if you are on any medications), electrolytes (particularly Sodium and Potassium) imbalance in the blood; cardiac problem; or, improperly functioning of Adrenal glands (located on the upper end of kidneys). I will therefore recommend the following course of action :- 1. First, increase daily intake of salt and water. Observe the response after a week or so. If there is no response:- 2. Get blood tests, such as, serum electrolytes done to rule out/detect electrolyte imbalance; ECG to detect any abnormality of the heart rhythm. 3. If all relevant blood workup and ECG are normal, tests for Adrenal insufficiency should be carried out. If the test is abnormal, a water-retaining steroid would be required on a regular basis. In the meanwhile, as soon as you wake up, sit up for a minute with legs hanging down; thereafter, stand up slowly and remain standing for a minute, before you begin walking around. This procedure should relieve transient giddiness. Lastly, a more detailed information about your problems would give me invaluable input to reach to a definite conclusion. If there is no relief with the conservative measures as advised above, consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal