Reason for feeling of fluid moving in upper chest when walking?

Nephrologist
Question
Hi, occassionally when I walk I hear and feel fluid moving ('sloshing') in my upper chest. This I find unusual.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pleural effusion Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The sloshing sound in your upper chest could be fluid in the pleural space ( outer lining of the lung). To understand the issue better please get back to me with the following details 1. Do you have trouble breathing? Are you feeling tired earlier than usual? 2. Do you have chest pain? 3. Have you noticed trouble lying down flat while sleeping lately? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply I wish you good health Regards

Follow-up: Reason for feeling of fluid moving in upper chest when walking? 16 minutes later
Doctor, In reply to your questions, I reply as follows: 1. Under exhertion I do have trouble breathing, and I have been feeling very fatigued of late, which no amount of sleep seems to cure; 2. I do have chest pain which I assumed was angina which is treated with glycerol trinitrate (Nitrolingual); and 3. I'm not aware of any trouble lying down flat whilst sleeping. Thank you for you assistance, Doctor.
Follow-up: Reason for feeling of fluid moving in upper chest when walking? 24 minutes later
I also suffer from sleep aponea.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Pleural effusion Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply in detail After going through your history it looks like you might be suffering from plueral effusion. Here is what I suggest to you 1. Approach a physician for a clinical examination of the chest 2. If the clinical examination reveals reduced breath sounds then I suggest a chest x ray postero anterior view. The fluid if present might have to be removed under ultra sound guidance for analysis 3. Easy fatigueability is related to the sleep apnea. A simple solution to cure that is to sleep sideways and not flat on your back or stomach. It is worthwhile to undergo a sleep study, approach a pulmonologist I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I am sorry for the short delay in my response, I was on call at my hospital Regards