Reason for burning lips and tongue after eating or drinking?

I'm having a problem with my lips and tongue. They both burn when I eat or drink something. This has been going on for a few weeks. At first it would come and go, now it it there all the time. Have had 2 small sores on my lips but they are gone now. No sores on my tongue. This is all inside my mouth not on the outside of my lips.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Burning mouthh syndrome! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this problem you have with your mouth. In medical terms, this is referred to as burning mouth syndrome. A majority of cases really have no known cause and are termed primary. However, factors like vitamin deficiency, stress, allergy, acid reflux, etc may also cause this(secondary). The best thing to do is to get evaluated by your doctor. If any possible cause is found, you would be treated accordingly. If no cause is identified, which is what happens in a majority of clients, measures to help ease the discomfort would be advised. These include drinking enough water to stay hydrated, avoiding spicy foods, no alcohol, no tobacco, etc. Try mild flavored foods/toothpaste and measures to relief yourself of stress if that be the case with you as it is a known provoking and aggravating factor. Treatment is not often successful. However we keep trying every possible measure hoping to find something that helps. I will direct you to do some more concise reading from a trusted page and get to me with if you have any unanswered questions. WWW.WWWW.WW I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.