Realized I am pregnant after taking norethisterone tablet. Will this affect baby?

I took a noretnisterone tablet and then released I was Pregnant. Could this have an impact on the baby? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Norethisterone is contraindicated in pregnancy as it increases chances of first trimester abortion.
But epidemiological studies have not shown any congenital malformation when it was taken before pregnancy or inadvertently during early pregnancy. So I dont think you need to worry about anything.
So have a proper rest & visit the ER if you feel any cramping pain or bleeding vaginally & get an ultrasound done for well being of fetus about 6-8 weeks later
I hope your query has been answered.
Let me know if you have any other concerns
Follow-up: Realized I am pregnant after taking norethisterone tablet. Will this affect baby? 4 hours later
Hi there thanks for your answer! I did have some vaginal bleeding which is why I took the tablet in the first place. This lasted for about 4 days and was intermittent and very light, almost dilutted. It has stopped now (for the past 3 days) and I have done a pregnancy test today and it remains positive. What could the bleeding have been?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

When fertilised ovum attaches on uterine wall then one may have light bleeding known as implantation bleeding that is natural & no need to worry for that.

I think you were having the same kind of bleeding. Please get an ultrasound of the pelvis done again after a week, just to be on the safer side.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer.