Reached menopause. Thyroid removed. Feeling exhausted while exercising. Started bleeding. Prognosis?

Oncologist, Surgical
Thyroid was removed and i am still struggling with fatigue after 2.5 years . I am on t3 and 4. Just increased to 88 t4 . Cant remember the t3 dose, but combined with the t4 at 75, it was close to what a t4 100 would be. I wake up fatigued. Am fine during the day as long as i keep working. Exercising makes me exhausted and can take 2 days to recover. I used to exercise every day, so this is very frustrating. They tested for menopause and say i am in full menopause,but i just had bleeding for 1 month plus. The increase in meds stopped that, but i still get the symptoms i used to have every month. I sure would like to feel normal again and be able to exercise without being fatigued to the point of having to take a 2 or 3 day break.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 41 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. This problem occurs very frequently after a totaly thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. The dose of the drugs has to be frequently titrated to match with your body requirements. For the initial few years it is advisable to get the thyroid test done every 3 months and visit your doctor if you are facing any symptoms.
Seeing your current symptoms, you would require a slight increase in the dose of your medications. This will help you cope with your symptoms better.
Did you get a scan done after your surgery? Would it be possible for you to attach your complete thyroid function report, as I would be able to advise you better.

Hope you get well soon.
Follow-up: Reached menopause. Thyroid removed. Feeling exhausted while exercising. Started bleeding. Prognosis? 9 hours later
Yes, I have had all the required scans, treatments, etc. I do have my blood test done every six weeks. We thought I was good to go, but then we discoverd I was hypo again. Still have difficulty getting up in the morning. Still not able to exercise regularly as I used to. I am wondering if we should try animal thyrod instead. I certainly need some kind of boost.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

I can see that you are getting bothered by the symptoms but the only way out is to take the right amount of thyroid hormone. You should visit your endocrinologist and he will increase your dose of thyroid hormone.
Sudden change in the levels can also cause a lot of problems. There is no need to try animal thyroid hormone.

Hope you get well soon.