Razor wound on the scrotum. Should I get the tetanus shot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

About an hour ago I was shaving my scrotum with an electric razor blade. The blade was quite rusty. I happened to cut myself there; it was a minor cut and I bled just a little. I don't remember the last time I have had a tetanus shot - should I be worried about tetanus and/or go to the ER? Would this possibly cause tetanus? Thank you so much.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Even a minor cut of razor which has bled poses you at a risk of tetanus. If you do not remember your date last date of vaccination, it is best to get a booster shot at the ER as soon as possible.
Do remember to take a booster shot every 5 years after that so as to be safe.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.