Rattled breathing,unable to clear throat,blocked,trouble breathing,fever,unable to eat in 8 month old

My 8 month old daighter has had rattled breathing for a few days now (phlegm). I didnt think it was a problem, just that she is unable to clear her throat. Now she is blocked up and has trouble breathing, and cannot eat properly because she is so congested. She has a a temperature yesterday and today but baby panodol helps bring it down. Is this just something we have to let get better by itself?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later

From the history provided it seems that your daughter has a viral nasopharyngeal infection , that might be causing the current symptoms.

The onset of high grade fever, is suggestive of super-added bacterial infection and this might require antibiotics for proper resolution.

Here are some tips to help your child's cough and cold symptoms:

1. Lots of fluids to thin out the mucus that builds up during the cold virus infection so that it is easier to clear out. Try chicken soup, tea, broth, or clear liquids.

2. A cool mist humidifier - It can help with the discomfort of a scratchy throat, but make sure to clean it frequently.

3. Steam: Turn on the hot water in the bathroom and let the child breathe the warm steam for 10 minutes to help relieve congestion. Just be careful of little hands near hot water.

4. Saline nasal wash: A salt water wash to clean out the nose is particularly helpful in infants, who can't blow their noses. Drops are placed in each nostril and a suction bulb pulls mucus out of the nose. Be sure to sterilize between uses. Saline nasal spray may also relieve stuffiness for older children.

You might consider to consult your kid's specialist for an examination if the symptoms worsen.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.