Rat bite on thumb, bleeding. Applied antibiotic cream. Do I need treatment now?

rat bit on left hand tumb on 23rd August Night and blood come out after that I wash my hand and rub the anti by tic cream on thumb . Do I need treatment now.

Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. R. P. Gupta 2 hours later

It seems you have done the right thing by applying antibiotic cream.

However, if your wound is large or contaminated, you may need a dressing over your wound and systemic antibiotics. I would recommend you to get the wound examined by a doctor or upload a photograph of your wound.

Also, rat bites do not need any special treatment like vaccinations as rat bites are not known to cause rabies.

Hope this helps

Dr. R.P. Gupta
Dermatologist & Laser Surgeon,