Rashes on the flexor crease of both elbows with itching. Need advice

My wife has developed some dry rashes on the flexor crease of both elbows with itching as well. Itching is bad at times but otherwise it's mild.
It first occurred in March-April when she was in Jaipur and it healed automatically at that time.
She moved to Bangalore 2 months back and developed it again but this time it's still there for about a month now.
Please advice what should we do.

PS - I was chatting to another General Physician using live chat and the picture of the rashes was sent to YYYY@YYYY , addressing to Dr Vaishalee Punj, Just in case you want to have a look.

Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Atopic eczema,steroid cream will help.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Information provided by you about skin condition and photograph mostly point towards atopic eczema.

It is a skin allergy which occurs in sensitive skin.

It is most common in children ,but can manifest at any age.

Clinical manifestations vary according to age and in adults flexural allergy is common presentation.

For treatment to begin with you need to apply a topical steroid like tenovate cream for 1 to 2 weeks only as it will give relief to her from itching.You can also ask her to take oral antihistaminics like cetrizine at night.

Such type of eczema can be aggravated by harsh soaps,sweat,woolen clothes,sun etc.So it will be important to avoid these measures.Ask her to use full and loose cotton clothes.Use mild soap like dove or dermadew soap.Woolen clothes should be avoided as far as possible.

In case eczema tends to relapse you can apply tacrolimus cream ,but it is advisable to go for this cream under the guidance of a dermatologist only.

Finally,Do not try to apply any herbal preperartions over it as it can irritate the skin and can worsen the condition.

I hope this will help you.In case of any concerns I will be happy to help you.