Rashes on penis with itching. No pain or discharge. Is it STD?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
HI few days back when i masterbated in the nite i didnt wash off and slept. morning i had a terrible itch bt then washed my penis with water the itch subsided. evening when i was taking bath i saw that some red rashes have appeared. foreskin itches a bit bt nt too much. no pain or discharge. after that i stoped masterbating for 7 days it subsided but yesterday nite i masterbated nd in the morning it appeared again. i never had unsafe intercouses . is it STD. m scared. should i visit a doctor?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry it is normal in uncircumcised males

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for off and on redness and the possibility of Sexually Transmitted Disease for the same in yourself.

According to your query you have red mark on your penis head occurring after masturbation. After reading your history and thoroughly analyzing the pictures, I can tell you the best part -that your red rashes are not related to any type Sexually Transmitted Diseases or infection.

Now you must be anxious to know that why this redness is coming or recurring symptoms of redness after masturbation.

The red areas are actually appearing due to the friction during the masturbation. Even sometimes there is appearance of mild frictional blisters which are formed due to the friction and force during the act. Due to the friction and force applied, the superficial skin gets mildly peeled off and abraded and it leads to the kind of redness which you mentioned.

This is very very superficial and and so heals in a day or two and it never leads to any problem. Let me tell you again that these things are quite normal and usual things, so there is no need to go for any tests or visiting a doctor.

The initiating factor could be the improper hygiene. It occurred when you haven't had washed after masturbation. So the semen at the local area remained at the glans and the foreskin which sensitized the area. This lead to itching and then redness followed by it. This is most common in uncircumcised males due to opposing surface of the glans penis and foreskin covering it.

To prevent this redness in future, do not apply extra pressure or force during sexual act or masturbation. Also maintain a good hygiene and therefore wash the area two times a day with simple water. Do not apply any kind of chemicals over the area.

I reassure you again that these things are quite normal and usual things, so there is no need to go for any tests or visiting a doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any further query I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health
with regards,
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Rashes on penis with itching. No pain or discharge. Is it STD? 7 minutes later
But my penis head was smooth and now it looks all wrinkled sought of with red patches seems like pimples. is there any medicine that i should take?

because it keeps on occuring.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly see the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello young man,
Welcome gain to the forum and thanks for your prompt reply.

It is quite natural and normal to find wrinkled skin over the penile area after any redness or irritation. We are just one day old from our skin part, this means our skin is renewed every day. It is imperceptible in normal condition. But whenever there is bit irritation to the skin, the skin gets renewed faster. This old skin appears as wrinkled skin. On other of the sites of body it appears as dry skin but because of the moist nature of the area at glans penis, it appears as bit winked.

In majority of cases there is no need of applying any cream as it becomes alright in next couple of days. But if you feel the skin is very much wrinkled then you can apply any bland cream such as simple petroleum gelly over it in very thin layer.

Rest of the things for redness and pimple like appearance, I have already explained in the previous mail.

Lastly I again reassure you for the normal occurrence of the problem. You are most welcome if you any more doubts or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer.

Wish you good health
with regards,
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: Rashes on penis with itching. No pain or discharge. Is it STD? 10 hours later
When i checked my Penis at 3 am the red pimple like things have increased. please see the 1st pic and the 3 pics m sending now.

i have not masterbated since yesterday and m trying to keep it clean. but still the problem is increasing instead of subsiding.

is this suppose to happen? :(

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apply a cream as suggested below

Detailed Answer:
Hi young fellow,

Welcome to the forum again.

I have gone through the latest of the pictures sent by you. I can make out that the redness has increased a bit. This is a usual phenomenon where you can have increased redness for a 2-3 days. Do not get panicky about this.

This redness is due to the sensitized skin as well as mild proliferation of normal flora (the bacteria ans fungus) which resides over the skin. If you will maintain a proper hygiene and wash it properly then you will be quite alright.

Do not try to touch it or pay attention again and again. By multiple times manipulation also the redness can increase because of touching of sensitive skin.

You can apply a mixed cream containing antibacterial such as mupirocin and mild steroid such as fluticasone in it. Apply this in very thin layer. Do not apply beyond 5-7 days.

Do not be panicky to this situation. I quite often see young men like you who becomes very much tensed to this usually occurring situation. This is not a sign of sexually transmitted disease.

With best wishes of early recovery of the problem.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: Rashes on penis with itching. No pain or discharge. Is it STD? 5 hours later
when I gave the name of the medicines to the chemist they were confused. i took the pic . please let me know if they are the rite medicine.

the no. of pimple red/white has increased

will there be any side effect. also suggest how many times in a day i shud apply.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Give warm water compresses for 3-4 times

Detailed Answer:

We are basically destined to give you the preventive measures as told in the previous mail. Even then seeing the problematic situation you can take Flutibact cream to apply over the affected area. Apply in a very thin layer for two times so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Do not apply beyond 5 days.

Above and all the basic most important thing is to maintain hygiene and clean the area with warm water for 3-4 times a day.

With best wishes for early recovery of the problem.

Follow-up: Rashes on penis with itching. No pain or discharge. Is it STD? 6 minutes later
so u r asking me to take the following as in the picture attached

1) fluticasone cream bp Flutivate E cream and
2) mupirocin ointment usp 2% MUPIMET

rite?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not take two creams

Detailed Answer:

Rather than taking two creams you can take single cream by the name of Flutibact cream. Both the contents are present in this single cream.

With regards,

Follow-up: Rashes on penis with itching. No pain or discharge. Is it STD? 43 hours later
HI
have been using the cream since yesterday.

guess the red rashes have become prominent now as in the pics . i have been following the cleaning regime u have mentioned.

as suggested will not use it more than 5 days. what to do if it dosent get healed after 5 days?

Brief Answer:
Maintain good hygiene

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to the forum again.

Do not worry you will be alright in next few days. If at all the problem continues then you can XXXXXXX a dermatologist and preferably in the skin at a medical college level who can personally see the condition to guide and reassure you.

Meanwhile continue with your simple hygiene measures. DO not try to touch or unnecessary manipulate the area. I have seen many times that due to apprehension we try to touch the area too frequently- so avoid that.

With best wishes for your early recovery.