Rashes and bruise appeared on back of upper thigh. Should I be worried for DVT symptoms?

Dec 2012

Hi there
I have the feeling of being bruised on the back of my upper thigh, that has been there for the last 12-18 hours. I have been flying interstate both today and yesterday for work. Yesterday had my first experience of 'cankles' .... I've never seen my ankles blow up like was awful. Then just before Xmas, three days after again flying interstate, I ended up in ER with an unexplained bruise that had spread and become a rash spreading up and down my right thigh (same one that is now sore at the back) - that the doctors could not determine what is was after ultrasound, bloods and X-ray. They treated it as cellulitis.... But there was no cause for it.
Am I suffering from some kind of DVT symptoms? Should I be worried given that these symptoms only occur just after flying?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Your welcome to our forum

From your description of symptoms especially of the bruised rash that spread from up to down your right thigh is suggestive of shingles or herpes zoster infection (cellulitis does not usuallt present as a rash but rather as a zone of erythema and inflammation and hardly multiple). We could discuss at first, shingles, given the fact that after a while you still present with a bruised or painful back of thigh at same areas where you had the rash (This also sounds like post zosteric neuralgia). The fact that you have been flying frequently (and sitting for sometime) could predispose to the bruising/pain due to the infection.
We can not ignore also the fact that, the bruise you are complaining about could be as a result of another skin infection probably or fungal or viral origin given the chronic nature of the bruise.
In my humble opinion I do not think you are suffering from DVT because it is a very acute onset pain and swelling usually with predisposing factors such as post surgery or fracture, laying down or sitting for too long and family history etc, affects the lower extremity (usually one sided). Doppler ultrasound will confirm the suspected diagnosis.
I suggest you should be treated for post zosteric neuralgia with pain medicines ( antineuralgic). A primary care doctor can handle that after reviewing the bruised area.

Hope this helps