Rash similar to roasacea on neck, crusty. Should I restart Fluorocil?

Jul 2012

I've had some bouts with face rosacea (small red protusions) and have used fluoroucil 5 to successfully clear it up...recently I have used it on a similar rash on my neck for 10 days and stopped when it became crusty but noticed when the red spots remained...should I restart the aplications and for how long or wait for the spots to disappear?
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there. While topical 5 Fluorouracil may have helped you, it does have a penchant for leaving behind scars & photosensitivty & /or leaving behind hyper-pigmentation.
I would advice you against using it or do NOT 'restart' it for the neck lesions. Firstly they may be 'different' lesions. Wait for a while (say a week) for the crusting to disappear or/& visit your GP/dermatologist for a clearer opinion. If you wish, you can ask someone to take a good clear snap of the lesions & upload it onto this site (if you cannot easily visit the dermatologist) & i will be happy to view these & opine further. Cheers & Good luck. Do not worry . It is a minor issue & will clear up. Use a local emollient or moisturiser for the 'crusting' in the interim. Godspeed