Rash, scabies negative. Taken prednisone. Have asthma

My daughter has had a rash since may it is now August, none of the creams seem to help. treated for scabies with no result (scabies test was negative and none of her roommates are affected, she lives with 4 other girls). predisone helped but now she is off of it and it is back. started after buying a brand new bed and moving into a new apartment. She has an asthma issue, Dr says stress induced asthma. Some stomach issues off and on.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 4 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Rash, erythema can appear due to multiply factors. Some peoples have genetic predisposition to allergies, in her case history of asthma. From your description seems to be an exaggerated immune response probably to some foreign antigen ( molds, animal wool, bed bugs, mite feces, dust, food,etc. ) Check out if she changes recently her body lotions, soap, shampoo, spray, etc.. with new ones. Sometime moving to new living places, peoples with predisposition may develop allergic reaction to new furniture, etc.. Remember, most important find allergic triggers ( if such existing ) remove or avoid them. Sometime rash may occur due to medical causes : skin candidiasis, atopic, contact dermatitis, drugs, skin infections, etc.. I would recommend in such case Dermatologist consultation and laboratory investigation to clarify and determine exactly cause and accordingly will be more easy choose right treatment.
I wish you and your daughter good luck and speedy recovery.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Follow-up: Rash, scabies negative. Taken prednisone. Have asthma 4 hours later
We have had a professional rule out bedbugs, even though it was a brand new bed. Does the predisone helping remove the idea of a mite of any type or not? She did the scabies treatment twice and washed all bedding and clothes (entire apartment) etc. also she lives with others and no one else has anything, nor does anyone at home (she has been home several times) and I helped her clean etc. It takes months here to get into a dermatologist, but we do have an appointment scheduled in a few weeks. can a family practice dr do any of the skin testing you were talking about? The one she saw did do a skin scrap and said he didnt see anything but had her do the treatment anyway. What other test can be done? We have an appointment with a different family practice doctor later this week and I would like to be specific in what I am asking for and let them know we want to be agressive in finding answers and getting results. Also, is it XXXXXXX to stay on a low does of predisone in combination with a topical steriod cream if it helps? thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later
Welcome back,
If after carefully assessment you made a conclusion that there unlikely to be any external, foreigner factor, then we have to look for systemic factors. Prednisolone will not help , as you see, since several months no positive results and is not recommended use corticosteroids for long periods of time ( orally or topically ). If after few months there still persisting symptoms and signs and no visible improvements in her clinical condition, I do believe you need expert consultation , Dermatologist. You may make an appointment with Family practice Doctor to explain him all details and request following tests: complete blood count ( that will clarify if there any inflammation/infection , especially the eosinophil count), Serum IgE levels; stool analysis for ova and parasites ( sometime parasite infestation cause rash, itching ). If she experience itching, can try antihistamines like Loratadine or Cetirizine. My advice , final diagnosis and treatment must be done by Dermatologist.
Best Regards,