Rash on scrotum, pimples, itchiness, hair growing from them, no unprotected sex. Chances of STD ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi! My name is XXXXXXX and I'm 31 years old. I'm 1.89m tall and weight 90kg.

I week ago a suddenly got a pimple like rash on my scrotum. They actually look exactly like pimples. You can however not squeeze or pop them. At times it was itchy but not all the time. There are hairs growing through them but even if you will pull them out none of the yellow will come out with the hair root as normally the case for me with an ingrown hair.

I'm scared to death this might be STD although I haven't had unprotected sex.

Can you please give your opinion on what it might be?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later

1. Since how long do you have developed this rash?
2. Do you regularly shave the scrotum, have you recently shaved or used new soap or product in that area?
3. Are the pimples painful?
4. Is there redness, and increased warmth over the area of rash?
5. Any burning sensation on passing urine, any swelling near the groin?

With your description, I can think of the following possibilities:

It could be an infection called 'Molluscum contagiosum'. This consists of white pearly pimple like rash which may be itchy but not associated with redness. It can spread by skin to skin contact while having sex.

Other possibility includes fungal infection which is usually associated with itching. It may also be sebaceous cysts of the scrotum but usually takes time to develop and usually dark or skin coloured pimple like lesions filled with hard material, not usually painful.

Ingrown hair usually occurs on the back and usually not over scrotum. Ingrown hair will be very painful and associated usually with discharge.

Keep the affected area clean and dry. Good personal hygiene is important. Wear loose cotton clothes. Avoid sun exposure. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water.

Consult a competent Dermatologist for examination and confirmation of the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Rash on scrotum, pimples, itchiness, hair growing from them, no unprotected sex. Chances of STD ? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor.

Thank you for the reply.

It started a week ago. Its not getting any worse and I dont think it is dissapering as well. I do shave my scrotum but only maybe once a month. No other soap was used as well.

The pimples are not painful and also not painful while urinating.

There is however a redness and a feeling of warmth eventho it is not all the time.

Also now swelling involved.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later

Thanks again,

Presence of redness and swelling indicates a possible reaction to infection in that area.

Keep the area clean and dry. Avoid scratching, pressing or trying to pop the pimples. You may apply cool compress if it is very red and painful. Over the counter antihistamines might help in relieving the symptoms. Topical medications like calamine lotion can help if you also have itching.

I encourage you to consult a competent Dermatologist to rule out other possible causes mentioned earlier. Usually if it is an infection, antibiotic therapy might help to eradicate this lesion.

Hope my answers are adequate and helpful.