Rash on right thigh, lower back, small pus filled bumps. Hip replacement surgery done. Treatment for painful rash?

I have an increasingly growing rash on my right thigh & lower right back since my right hip replacement popped out & back in its socket on 11/25/11. The rash consists if large splotches with mostly small pus filled bumps. I'm going to the doctor about my hip tomorrowbut the rash is getting increasingly large & painful.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later

The rash that you have described could occur due to several causes which include folliculitis, boils, pustular psoriasis and eczema which could occur due to a host of reasons.

Treatment would usually depend on the identified cause. It would mostly comprise of topical antibiotics and systemic antibiotics in case of severe infections. However, these are prescription drugs which can be obtained only after consulting your treating physicians.

Till then, I would suggest the following:

•     Apply a warm, moist washcloth or compress to the affected area several times a day to relieve discomfort and help the area drain, if needed.

•     Gently wash the infected skin twice a day with antibacterial soap. Use a clean washcloth and towel to dry off each time you wash.

•     Avoid shaving irritated skin. If you must shave, use an electric razor rather than a blade and apply a soothing aftershave lotion when you're finished. Also, shave in the direction of hair growth rather than against it.

•     Don't share your towels or washcloths, and launder them in plenty of hot, soapy water after every use. Wash clothes that cover the affected areas after each wearing.

I would suggest that you visit your treating physician as soon as possible who can prescribe appropriate therapy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.