Ask a Urologist   »  

Rash on penis spreading, red, smooth. Suggest?

Question
Age: 28, height 5.10,weight 69.
Hello Doctors, I have a skin rash at my tip of penis. It started spreading around the tip of the skin, symptoms are skin turns little red and smooth, no wound, looks like rash. please suggest a solution... thanks in advance.. YJ
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the rash itchy?

2)     Is there any foul smell from the rash?

3)     Is there any white discharge from the rash?

4)     Is there any burning or pain associated with the rash?

Most commonly such a rash which suddenly appears and spreads is due to fungal infection of the area.

Don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical creams like Lotrimin after prescription from your doctor. Wear cotton clothes, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then you may need oral antimicrobials/ antifungals for which you have to consult and get it prescribed from your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Please do get back with these answers so that we can help you in a better way.

Follow-up: Rash on penis spreading, red, smooth. Suggest? 29 minutes later
1) Is the rash itchy?
Ans: some times.. when it touch the cloth

2) Is there any foul smell from the rash?
Ans: No
3) Is there any white discharge from the rash?
Ans: No
4) Is there any burning or pain associated with the rash?
Ans: burning is there but very little.. only some times
I do masturbation regularly. should i stop doing this.
Can you suggest a doctor in Bagalore.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Hello Yuvi,

Thanks for writing back with these details. If the rash is non itchy then chances are more that it is due to dermatitis skin or chafing skin.

Follow these methods for a quick relief from this redness:

1)     Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material. Avoid masturbation till the rash heals.

2)     Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.

3)     You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.

4)     Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful in reduction of the redness and inflammation.

You can consult a good dermatologist in Bangalore or click on the following link for a good dermatologist in your area:

WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.