Ask a Urologist   »  

Rash on penis and anus, very itchy. No bumps. Can I get anything from the pharmacy?

Question
I seem to have a rash on my penis and anus, it is very itchy. no bumps. anything i can get from pharmacy to help?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

Although you might not find this answer completely satisfying, dermatologic conditions should always be seen with the eyes. Rashes are great imitators each other. Few rashes can be diagnosed through a description alone. So your question of whether you can get anything at the pharmacy to help your rash is difficult to answer without a diagnosis. Even 1% hydrocortisone, which is sold over-the-counter as an anti-itch medication, could make the rash worse if it were a fungal infection (jock itch). The treatment for that would not be cortisone, but rather anti-fungal cream, spray or powder. I think you will be best served by having your doctor take a look at the rash.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz