Rash on foreskin, painful during intercourse, applied moisturiser, temporary relief only

dear doctor, i have a mild rash on my foreskin and am unsure as to its cause, i am sexually active, 18 YO, 5 10, 10.5 stone weight.
It is painful during intercourse. I do not always wear a condom. I used a moisturiser on the foreskin which gave temporary relief but it has came back.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You have a mild rash on your foreskin. You also have intercourse sometimes without protection. I have gone through the pictures you have sent.

There are many causes of rashes such as :
1. ‘Atopic Dermatitis,’ eczema is often genetically inherited and can be triggered by allergens such as, soaps and detergents.
The common symptoms of penis skin rash will include swollen and raised patches in any part of penis. Itchiness is very common in the penis skin rashes. The irritation actually increases the symptoms and therefore you should better try to avoid it. The patches are usually dry and often it becomes scaly. The rash is persistent if not treated and the symptoms will surface repeatedly. Moisturizers can be applied to the skin of penis to reduce the dryness.

2. Penis Scabies – Scabies on the penis are caused by mite. This mite is transferred via clothing, bedding and sexual contact.

3. Various sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can cause rash-like symptoms on the penis and groin area. If a rash appears after recent sexual contact consult with your doctor. Chlamydia and herpes zoster may cause rash-like symptoms in some individuals.
Rash can also be present along base of penis and/or scrotum. It may be accompanied by discharge, blisters, fever, sores or a burning sensation.

4. Acne, eczema, psoriasis or seborrhea dermatitis may cause a rash to reappear on a regular basis. Weather (either extremely hot or extremely cold) can also cause rashes and other skin problems as a result of drying of the skin. In some individuals skin problems, such as acne outbreaks, may be brought on by stress levels.

You can try over the counter Cortaid or Cortisone 10 application, but if that does not help then you need to visit your local Dermatologist.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.