Rash on chest and stomach, spreading to shoulders and upper back, itching

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
i have a rash on my chest and stomach and it spreading it didn't itch at first but it is itching now and us spreading up my shoulders on to my upper back
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX I note your rash issue & have viewed the accompanying photograph. It does appear that the rash is akin to a viral exanthem & /or Pityriasis Rosea which again has viral precusors. Perhaps you should take an antihistamine called levocetrizine 10mg at night (common name Xyzal) for some 10 days & accompany that with a topical steroid-antifungal combination lotion both should be easily available as OTC preparations. Also after bathing, use cetaphil moisturising lotion atop wet skin to moisturise & reduce the itchy feeling. The rash in its natural course if P. Rosea should run its natural course of 3-6 weeks. If an allergy, will subside in 24-48 hrs of this treatment. If after 48-72 hrs, it still persists or does not get better, do please revert back to me. I will require some further history as the one supplied sadly is not much to go on..eg..does anyone else have similar lesions surrounding you/fly members etc; marital/sexual exposure history preceding rash; any outdoor/hiking activity prior; any known prior allergens; any endemic specific diseases near your port of residence; any other systemic features eg Fevers, joint pains, abdominal pains; any preceding local applications eg deos/sprays/soaps/detergnets etc that may have led to said rash.
Cheers..Do hope the suggestions help..if not, please do remember to revert with the answers to above queries. Good luck & here's to a clear skin!!