Rash on buttock, bruise on wrist, painful knees. What can it be?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a small rash on upper left buttoch,a small bruise on right wrist that just appeared and woke up with a pain in left knee that comes and goes. Im 51 work out 5 times a week consider myself in good shape 6', 196lb ?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

To be able to help you better, it would be great if you can answer the following questions:

1. Since when you have this rash?
2, Are you on any drugs presently?
3. Do you have any oral lesions ( lesions in the mouth)?
4. The genital lesions that you have described are ulcers or raised lesions?
5. Do u have any abdominal problems?
6. Do you have any scalp or nail abnormality?
7. Do you have any other symptoms like fever/sore throat/other joint pain?

Please reply to the above questions so that I can help you further.

Photographs of skin rash (close up, distant and lateral) in good light can be helpful.
Photos can be uploaded through "Upload your images" section on the right
Awaiting your response.
Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Rash on buttock, bruise on wrist, painful knees. What can it be? 21 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Q-A's

Q-1, The rash on right upper buttoch comes and goes about every 3 months it is about 1/2 inch x 1/2inch a bit itchy but not bad, I wonder if its has to do what certain foods.

Q-2, Drugs, NO

Q-3, No lesions anywhere

Q-4, Refer to Answer # 1

Q-5, No abdominal pain at all

Q-6, Scapl perfect, around 6 months ago right big toe a just a little noticed toe nail a liitle different, soak in Hydrogen Peroxide abouct twive a week.

Q-7, No sore throat, no joint pain, but the little rash on left side of neck just red no bumbs has been here for about a month.

My last check was around 3-4 years ago blood work very, very good at all levels I know I'm due but let me know. Thank you..

P.S. Keep in mind I work out 5-6 times a week I consider myself in great shape..
Follow-up: Rash on buttock, bruise on wrist, painful knees. What can it be? 44 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX I forgot about the recourring bruise on the inside of Right forearm, it is 2 inches from hand, it is from the inside no doubt I did not hurt it in anyway it happen once about 2 months ago then started on Sunday again does not hurt no other details on bruise but it is redesh purple half inch by one inch in lenght I thouch it no problem but thats what concerns me the most for a bruise just appear like that.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

After going through your answers, I think that lesions are most likely to be purpuric in nature. Purpura can be due to multiple causes like decreased platelets in blood , infections etc. It can also be simply due to some insect bites.

I would suggest that you undergo a complete blood workup including a platelet count, bleeding time , aPTT . Also, a complete physical check up by your physician would prove useful

It is less likely to be a serious condition as you are physically fit and don't have any other complaints.

Photographs of skin rash (close up, distant and lateral) in good light can be helpful. Please upload your pictures through "Upload your images" section on the right.

Hope this helps.
If you have any further queries, I will be available to answer them.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Rash on buttock, bruise on wrist, painful knees. What can it be? 20 hours later
Last but not least, If you recall the Q-A regarding XXXXXXX pain on left knee, I woke up this morning with bruising on the left side and under left leg i.e. knee, also the back of my neck was pulsating off and on, I will wait to here from you and I will be making a appointment to see a doctor let me know what you think. Thank you..

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 hours later

I suggest you to please visit your physician at the earliest.

Meanwhile you can take analgesic anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen. Apply a cool soothing lotion like calamine lotion over the bruised area.

A physical check up and Investigation will be needed for coming to a certain diagnosis in your case.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. And let me know if you need any more help from me.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan