Rash near vulva, upper thighs, skin peeling, stress incontinence, dermatitis, fungal infection

I am female, age 53. I have a rash near my vulva in the leg crease and on my upper thigh. It is dark red and there is some pealing of the normal skin around it. I have stress incontinence and wear a pad but keep myself clean. I thought is might be heat rash. Antifungal cream doesn't work, but antibiotic cream helps some. I've also used and anti-chafing cream. I have even used a non-stick 4x4 patch and tape to cover the area loosely so that my underwear doesn't rub. Its just not going away. Any ideas on what I could use otc?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for the query,

There are two possibilities here:

1. Dermatitis - Possibility of dermatitis in your case is because of the use of pad and groins being a occluded area.A dermatitis usually spares the folds of the skin and involves areas adjacent to the fold.

2. Fungal infection (Tinea cruris) - Reason for Fungal infection is because of involvement of folds & you being pre-diabetic .

Peeling and redness can be seen in both the condition.

I would like to know few things here :

a) If you can exactly tell me the area of involvement (is it the fold or the adjacent area)
b) Is the condition bilateral or unilateral .
c)Any associated symptoms(itching or burning sensation).

It would be good if you can send me a picture of the same along with, which would help in diagnosis. You can send the images to YYYY@YYYY . Kindly mention my name "ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" as a subject.

You may also need to post your reply here confirming that you have sent the picture to the email id.

Another method of confirming a fungal infection would be a KOH scrapping from the lesion which would show the presence of fungal cells.

As far as maintaining the area is concerned at this stage,

1. keep the area clean.
2. Avoid pads for few days.
3. You will need anti fungal powder over the area if the cause is a fungal infection.
4. And for dermatitis, you may need zinc oxide creams along with white petrolatum ointment. But I am not sure whether these are OTC in your country or not.

Hope I have answered your query,

I am looking forwards for your reply.

Follow-up: Rash near vulva, upper thighs, skin peeling, stress incontinence, dermatitis, fungal infection 44 hours later
I have sent the photo you requested and answered the additional questions in an email sent to you.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 19 hours later
Hi again ,

I am sorry to say that i have not received any pictures from your side in my mail box .I would request you to resend them again.

Will be waiting for the same.