Rash in area of pacemaker implantation. Reason?

after a few months my mom now has a rash in the area where a pacemaker was implanted. what's the reason and what do we do.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
If it is few months it is unlikely that it is related to pacemaker. Nonetheless, we have to consider related to its implantation first and foremost. I have a question here how had been the healing of wound? Was there delayed healing, mild infection or thick scar after pacemaker? If the answer to this is that there had been normally healed wound of pacemaker implantation then the second question comes whether the rash is limited to pacemaker area or other parts of body also. If it is not confined to pacemaker bulge area it is probably not related to it. To be sure have an opinion of your general practitioner doctor if he says it is skin condition nothing to worry. However if there is any of the following over the rash
1. Redness along with any of the three
2 Swelling
3. Pain or local tenderness
4. Local warmth

Then it definitely is cause of concern and you have to show to cardiologist or cardiac surgeon who or whose group implanted the pacemaker. Good Luck.
Looking forward to hear from you.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW