Ask a Urologist   »  

Rash at base of penis, sensation while urinating. Redness, inflammation, and itchiness. Any suggestions?

Jul 2012

So about a month ago I was diagnosed with jock itch due to a rash underneath the foreskin of my penis. This caused a bad itch feeling, redness and inflammation, along with a slight burn when I urinated. I used a topical cream as directed and prescribed by my doctor for a week and it seemingly went away.

A few days ago I noticed a similar sensation while urinating, and developed a new rash, this time at the base of my penis. It is red inflamed and itchy. Next, a new rash formed on the side of my scrotum, it started as red, and I may have opened the skin due to scratching at it, so there was a clear liquid. Now it just looks like dry skin.

Also, there is a rash going down my inner thigh now.

I'm starting to worry a lot. Any suggestions before i go see my doctor? Any idea what it might be?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hey there. Its sunday morning in india but i felt your particular problem deserved an immediate respite given your stress levels! Relax..the matter at hand is simple & easily treated. The problem essentially remains the same..a fungal infection. However, the reason for the recurrence is possibly incomplete treatment or a recurrence due to lack of treatment of fomites/hygeine issues.
Let's start at the top shall we?..First..use a cream containing betamethasone-miconazole combination apply locally for 2-3 days & stop; this will relieve the inflammation & itch. Next, change to a pure antifungal cream ..either terbinafine or ketoconazole based apply twice/daily as earlier but for a period of 10 days to 2 weeks. Third...It is best to ingest an oral medication called fluconazole 150/200 mg tabs & it needs to be taken once/week for two weeks (ie 2 tablets in all). The above may all be sourced at your local pharmacist/chemist & providing a transcript of this advice might just help, else you will need a prescription from your GP.
More importantly..treatment of fomites: wash all your undergarments in hot water at one time & dry them well in the hot sun (not indoors) & avoid using any damp clothes/undergaments; you may use an antifungal soap (2% ketoconazole based) on the groin/armpit region, leave on for 5-10 mts & wash off..twice/week while bathing for the next 2-3 mths. All this is certain to get rid of your relax the problem is simple & is easily treated. Cheers & Good luck!
I trust the above info is as clear as they come & this query will be thus closed; please do send in your valuable feedback to the site!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD