Rash after stopping Amoxicillin, diagnosed as yeast infection, taken Triamcinolone, Benadryl. Now trouble walking?

I have a 2 year old who developed a rash on left leg after coming off of amoxicillin, it was diagnosed as a yeast infection and prescribed triamcinolone acetonide and benadryl for itching. This morning she is having trouble walking. What is going on
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Savita Mishra 21 minutes later

First of all, I would like to know why Amoxicillin was given.

If it is an allergic reaction to amoxicillin, then it should not be localised to one leg only, it should be more widespread and generalised.

If we suppose it is an allergic reaction, then the treatment (triamcinolone + benadryl) is correct and the condition should improve rather than worsen.

If it is a fungal infection, then this treatment does not fit into diagnosis.

To me it looks like a bacterial infection and may need a second opinion - may be a dermatologist if possible.

I would like to know few more things to guide you better.
1. Does the child have any fever?
2.Has the rash increased?
3. Is the limb warm?
4. Please get a CBC (complete blood count) also so that I could decide what kind of infection it could be.

Hope I have answered your query.

Waiting for your reply with answers to my questions.