Rapid heartbeat without anxiety, just finished menstrual cycle. Thyroid problem?

I have rapid heart beat, without feeling anxiety but occasional bouts of shortness of breath. It prevented me from sleeping last night. I exercise regularly and of slim/athletic built. The rapid heart beats feel like flutters. I don't drink excessive amounts of caffeine and I just did a half marathon over the wknd in which I do regularly. I am in my late 30's and have just finished my menstrual cycle. This is bothersome and worrisome. Thank you for your time.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Occasional episodes of palpitations and bouts of breathlessness in a individual that do not recur or cause severe problems can be due to normal variations of the body. This does not seem to be a concerning problem. In your case, if it was a single episode and has not recurred again, then there is no need to be worried. In case if the symptoms are recurrent, the cause needs to be identified.

The cause of the palpitations, shortness of breath and fatigue could be due to :-
1. cardiac causes (Hypertension, arrhythmias)
2. lung related issues (exercise induced asthma, etc).
3. Hyperthyroidism
4. Anemia

Hence you would benefit by consulting your primary doctor and getting evaluated with a few tests as mentioned below-

‎1. Complete blood counts
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Lipid profile , Blood sugar (Fasting and Post prandial), HBAIC,
4. Thyroid function tests
5. Few biochemical tests

In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:-

‎1. Holter monitor
2. Echocardiography
3. Chest Xray
4. Lung function tests
5. Tread mill test

It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned ‎investigations.

I hope this helps. Should you have any additional queries, I will be available to address them.

Dr Deepak Anvekar.‎