Random home glucose test showed extremely high values. Emergency?

I had some minor symptoms and just out of curiosity took a home blood glucose test. the result was 420. should i be at an emergency room, or can this wait until after the holiday weekend to see my regular doctor?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Dear sir,

Looking into your problem i will suggest you to consult a doctor immediately because these sugar levels are high enough . Since you are 51 years old it seems to be long and you just picked it up incidentally . Whatever delay has occured cannot be reverted back but now you need to urgently see a specialist for this . Firstly Fasting blood sugars ( FBS) , Post prandial blood sugar (PPBS) , Hba1c levels which are suggestive of sugar control over 3 months need to be done to establish the present status . Urine routine to look for any sugar in that needs to be done . After that other specialised tests like eye examination , NCV etc may be done according to the present system involvement if required.

Type 2 diabetes is generally treated by lifestyle modifications and oral hypoglycemic drugs. Insulin therapy is generally not required except in few special conditions.

With such high levels there is an urgent need to institute the treatment immediately so kindly do not delay this at all and seek immediate medical attention by a diabetologist.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.

If you have any other queries feel free to ask.

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Random home glucose test showed extremely high values. Emergency? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response. I fully realize that I need to start treatment urgently for this condition. I was wondering if it requires an emergency room this weekend since the level is so high. Am I at risk of a coma or other situation if I wait to see a specialist on Tues or Wed?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear sir,

Well there is a possibilty of hyperosmolar coma in patients suffering from dehydration, increases in osmolarity and a high risk of coma and death.

But this condition is generally precipitated by an infection, myocardial infarction, stroke and other acute illnesses . Well in your case it seems to be a remote possibilty that you will require an emergency room but still nothing can be said with surity . It is advisable to you see a diabetologist immediately as soon as possible.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti