Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu?

I think I have the flu, is normal for the aches to come and go?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 days later

Flu, a viral infection is associated with random body aches and other generalised symptoms. However the symptoms subside spontaneously as one recovers from flu - which in most cases doesn't take more than few weeks. If your symptoms are persisting for months, then you need to consider other causes.

GERD and hypothyroidism are not directly related to random body aches.

Hope I answered your query. Please close this discussion, if you are satisfied with my answer. Yet, I will be pleased to address/clarify your other doubts.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu? 13 minutes later
Thank you Dr.,

I drink a lot of soda, I have frequency issues. I suspect based what I have researched that is normal. What concerns me is that after I go, I get this feeling the last few days of the bladder "filling" up again after I go. It's not an immediate need to go,but more like a sensation. It is not painful, just weird.

I have had my bladder and kidneys(ultrasound) checked and those are normal. I also been checked for UTI in the past.

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Yes, caffeine and other ingredients present in some beverages are known to stimulate bladder and increase frequency/urge to urinate. The effects of the ingredients really depend on the amount consumed and your ability to metabolize them. The rate of metabolism is individualized and not very constant.

That being said, we also need to rule out other bladder conditions:
1. A previously detected/ruled out symptoms are severe and troubling. Perhaps sampling the midstream urine for routine/microscopy as well as culture will give us more accurate results
2. Overactive bladder is a physiological condition of over reacting bladder. And caffeinated drinks do worsen the situation. Urodynamic study like cystometry will help us confirm the possibility.

Therefore prefer non caffeinated and non alcoholic drinks. Practice safe sex. And do consider visiting an urologist whenever feasible.

Thank you. I will be pleased to comment further if you are not satisfied with my response.

Good luck!

PS: I would appreciate your remarks if you all your concerns are addressed. Please close this discussion to leave your feed backs
Follow-up: Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu? 20 hours later
Thank you,

Is an overactive bladder like reflux in the sense it's something one has to managed or can it be corrected?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Prasad 56 minutes later
Welcome back,

Overactive bladder is a physiological abnormality where the muscle (detrusor) over react to a normal stimulus leading to increase frequency/urge to urinate. This can sometimes be accompanied with involuntary loss of urine. It is NOT a reflux action but just a hyperactive reaction triggered by urine in the bladder.

Caffeine and other products have stimulant effects on the bladder muscles to cause such actions. Therefore, what you may have is not an overactive bladder per se, but a similar mechanism triggered by caffeinated drink.

Hope I am clear now. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu? 22 hours later
Thank you Dr.,

You are clear. Other than stones, am I at risk for any other complications? Last question,thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 38 minutes later
You are most welcome.

Yes, I do not foresee any major complications. However I would be extremely pleased if your doctors also exclude urinary tract infection. The tests I described earlier are a means to do that.

Hope I have answered all your queries now. I wish you have healthy and prosperous life!! I will be available here for future assistance if you need them.

Please close this discussion and review. I would really appreciate that.