Random bleeding from nose. Please explain what is going on.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am at work and then all of a sudden I felt my nose randomly bleeding from only my right nostril. I have never had this happen before. Please explain what's going on?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Spontaneous nose bleeds are seen most commonly due to dry nasal membranes. This is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters.

Other causes may include allergic rhinitis, certain medicines like aspirin, upper respiratory infections, hypertension, alcohol abuse, etc.

Do get your blood pressure checked by the physician.

I suggest you to get an appointment from your ENT surgeon for proper diagnosis and further treatment.

Till then put nasal saline drops to keep the nasal mucosa moist. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger if there is any bleeding. You can also lubricate your nose with A & D ointment, Mentholatum, Polysporin/Neosporin ointment, or Vaseline.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.