Random Blood Sugar is 152 & fasting at 101. Taking Glucored. What are the other test recommended? Diet plan?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
My Random Blood Sugar is 152 & fasting at 101 . Need to check Hb1AC . what other tests you recommend , Iam taking Glucored plain tabs 1-0-1 . walk for 30 mins in morning .
Request you to suggest a diet plan for me , My height is 5ft 11inches , weight 74 kgs.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Low fat low calorie diet with fiber recommended

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the query.

Apart from HbA1c as a part of annual health check you require Lipid profile, Liver function tests, kidney functions, urine routine. Please get these done and see a local doctor.

Here I would like to address your dietary issues.

Elevated blood sugar levels can easily be managed with disciplined dietary modifications and regular exercises, without compromising on nutrition. The good news is that your BMI is under the Normal range, indicating lesser complications in future.

Include more salads, fruits and whole grains in your diet, these would provide the insoluble fiber and add bulk to your diet. Refined foods are low on fiber and provide instant calories, so check their intake.

Saturated fats like pure ghee, butter, cream etc. these foods are associated with high cholesterol and body fat deposits. Instead, choose from the unsaturated fats like refined vegetable oils, sunflower oil, soybean oil, rice XXXXXXX oil etc. Also limit the intake of nuts and oil seeds.

Include low fat dairy products, and replace the regular cheese with tofu (soy paneer). If you are non-vegetarian, go for the leaner cuts and preferably avoid the red meat and organs. Also, say no to egg yolk. Make sure that you take only roasted non veg. and for not more than twice a week.

Keep yourself hydrated and divide your meals into smaller portions. Eat frequently; fix timings to help you keep safe from eating in-between. Eating frequently does not mean that you can eat at any time.

Do not forget to keep yourself hydrated enough throughout the day. You may include sugar less green tea in your daily routine. It’s packed with antioxidants to boot your metabolism.

Take some light snack before leaving the house, to avoid those hunger strokes while you are in market or at office. Availability of mouthwatering snacks makes it difficult to resist them when you are hungry.

Go for regular exercises, brisk walk for 45 min is considered ideal for weight loss. You may start with 15 min and gradually add 2-4 minutes every day to reach 45 minutes Also make small lifestyle modifications like, eating food on time, avoiding activities like reading and watching TV while eating,

Hope this would help.