Raised red rash appeared on genital area. Is this an STD?

i woke up this morning and had pimple like bumbs with red rash on my genetial area. is this an std?"
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

I have seen the images you have attached and in my opinion I do not think this is a sexually transmitted disease, mainly due to the rapid onset and location of these bumps it is most probably an infection of the hair follicles (called folliculitis), especially because we can see hair growing on these bumps.

This usually settles on its own in most people, but due to their location (the groin), they easily get infected and that is when an individual requires antibiotic coverage.

Another possibility could be a mild fungal infection, as the presentation matches the above mentioned condition.

In my opinion you should visit a doctor, an get yourself evaluated as we will need to confirm the diagnosis and accordingly manage the condition, if it requires medical management.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.