Raised red itchy bumps on back spreading to shoulders, upper back & neck. Bumps filled with pus. How can these go away?

Question
I have a rash that started about 5 days ago on my chest. Since then it has spread to my shoulders, upper back and neck. It started as small, red bumps that were raised a little and did not itch or hurt. Now it looks pimply and raised. It is tiny red bumps that look like they are filled with pus. I have also noticed that they have started to itch a little bit. What is this? How can I make it go away? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

The symptoms that you are having are suggestive of a viral infection and it can be chicken pox. It produces an itchy, blistery , pimply pus filled rash that typically lasts about a week and is sometimes accompanied by a fever or other symptoms. The rash begins on the trunk.

Take plenty of fluids and simple nutritious food. Applying wet compresses or bathing in cool or lukewarm water once a day can help the itch. Only mild soap should be used and just XXXXXXX for drying, do not rub.Also do not scratch the blisters as this can lead to infection or scarring.

Because chickenpox is a viral disease, antibiotics are ineffective. Antibiotics may be prescribed if the blisters become infected. Calamine lotion helps to reduce itchiness.You can apply that on the blisters.If there is fever then you can take acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Full recovery usually takes five to 10 days after the first symptoms appear.But if there is persistent fever or if there are any other gastrointestinal or neurological symptoms, then you should consult your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Raised red itchy bumps on back spreading to shoulders, upper back & neck. Bumps filled with pus. How can these go away? 56 minutes later
I already have had chicken pox in the past and these little blisters are more the size of the head of a pin and fairly confined to my chest still.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Chicken pox provides life long immunity after its occurrence. If you have had chicken pox in the past then it is less likely to be chicken pox. Other possibilities are of a viral skin rash, folliculitis or molluscum lesions.

You should wear cotton clothes and try to keep the area as dry as possible. Please send me a photo of the lesion attached with this query or at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Regards.