Raised liver enzymes, working with toxic chemicals, hepatitis infection

Protein, total, serum 6.2 / Albumin 4.1 / Bilirubin, Total 0.3 /
Bilirubin, Direct 0.12 / Alkaline Phosphatase, S 79 / AST 61 /
ALT 78. My liver enzymes have been raised over the past 4 years to my knowledge. I took Bactrim for a sinus infection and my enzymes soared to AST 493 ALT 790 Bilirubin 9.0, which was 4 years ago, the levels came down over the following year, but the last 3 years have stayed at these levels. I have had an MRI w/wo
contrast and a CT scan showing now liver damage, just some inflamation. I will not do a liver bioposy. I have been to 4 gastro doctor's, but my last doctor things Because I work with chemicals(toxins), work with acetone, alcohol, nail polsih remover, cut and edge plastic compounds, maybe the cause of raised levels. I now wear gloves and a mask, but numbers still not dropping.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later

Sulfa drugs like Bactrim are known to cause hepatitis in some people and that is what you had earlier. These drug reactions are common in people who already have an underlying liver abnormality or are taking some hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.

Acetone, alcohol, Vinyl,nail polish remover, cut and edge plastic compounds can all cause hepatitis and they are stored in the liver. Hence injury may persist even after exposure has ceased.
We also need information on your height, weight, waist diameter, lipid profile, Fasting and postprandial blood sugars, BP, HBsAg, Anti HCV to rule out a co-existent disorder.

Please mail back the requested information so that we can help you better