Raised lines with hard skin developed on toe. Using mycocota cream. What could it be?

I am a 26 year old male, 85kg, 1.82m tall. I went to Mozambique recently and after I came back I developed symptoms akin to Athletes Foot. I have been using Mycocota cream for 5 days now, it has alleviated most of the redness, but a raised, convoluted line has developed along with toughened skin on my pinky toes. It itches periodically, and is slowly becoming painful to walk on. What could it be?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The lesions you are describing can be ainhum or pseudo ainhum.

In this disease the ring of fibrous tissue develops around the toes. Which gradually constricts and ulcer may develop.

Also I would like to know -

Do you walk around bare feet?
What is your occupation?
Since when you have developed this?
Is there any discharge from the site?
Can you upload photos of the affected area?

Photos can be helpful in predicting the condition. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Till the time you can take analgesic anti inflammatory drugs.

Please upload photos and answer the questions to help you better.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Raised lines with hard skin developed on toe. Using mycocota cream. What could it be? 37 minutes later
Thanks for your rapid response Dr XXXXXXX
I am a bit of a nature-lover and do I walk around bare feet a lot, at least 60% - 70% of my time.
I am a high school Biology teacher.
Its been about 4 days now.
There is no discharge.

I had a look at pictures of ainhum, but they do not resemble what I have. This line is raised, not sunken, and seems to almost follow a vein or at least have a vein-like convolution. It "starts" around about the base of my pinky, follows a winding, s-shaped curve along the top, then drops down the outside of my pinky near the tip to the bottom where it has "bunched up" into what looks like a premature wart. Also, if it means anything (I just noticed that the web pages said it occured mainly among Africans) I am white.

I will post a picture as soon as I get home and can upload it from my phone.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the details.

4 days is too short period for ainhum.

Also it is short period for warts.

It can be a infectious process most commonly a bacterial infection.

It can be lymphangitis, a bacterial infection of lymphatic vessels.

The fact that you walk bare foot is a predisposing factor for you.

Please upload the photos and we can continue the discussion here.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Raised lines with hard skin developed on toe. Using mycocota cream. What could it be? 46 minutes later
I have attaches the photo's. The shininess and white residue are from an anti-histamine cream (Anthisan) that i have just applied to stop the itching, so disregard that as it's not normally there at all. My other foot has all but healed up, but it was to a much lesser degree and more on the second toe from the pinky.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Thanks for details and photos.

After going through images ,it looks like a bacterial infection.

You need to apply antibiotic cream like neomycin ointment twice daily for atleast 7 days.Also you need take oral antihistaminic like Tablet Zyrtec twice daily. Also, an oral analgesic anti inflammatory drug like Tab.Motrin 400 mg should be taken twice daily with food

Till the infection clears, please wear socks and shoes while going out.
The habit of barefoot walking can aggravate the problem. Immerse your feet in warm water with added antiseptic liquid to it. Do this twice a day. The infection should clear by 7 days.

Hope this helps .
I would be available for any further follow up.