Raised itchy bumps on both legs spreading to waist. History of shingles. Help?

Pediatrician
Question
I am 55 years old I had shingles 4 years ago with sever pain but few spots..I have had a quick on set of raised itchy bumps on both legs that has no spread to my waist..they last a couple of days and then the spots turn purple..they are very itchy but not painful
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I will appreciate if you can uload a photograph of the "bumps" and the ones which have turned purple for me to give you a better guidance.

What is the size of the "bumps" and their colour to start with? How long do they last?

Please revert back with the above information.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Raised itchy bumps on both legs spreading to waist. History of shingles. Help? 14 minutes later
I do not have a picture...the start out very pink and raised..sometimes they are the size of a pea to the size of a nickle..when the swelling goes down they turn a purple color...
The only discomfort I have is the horriable itching..
They just seem to pop up our of no where.
they are very itchy and raised for about 3 days then they turn purple

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thanks for the update and uploading the photograph.

The lesions are not related to shingles but appear to be some insect bite. Such bites turn darker in colour when they are healing. Whenever they occur you can take some anti-histamine tablets to reduce itching and try to make your environment insect free.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Raised itchy bumps on both legs spreading to waist. History of shingles. Help? 35 minutes later
could they be scabies??

Thank you for your query.

This is definitely not scabies.

Rajiv