Raised hard sore vein under armpit. What is it?

I just noticed what seems to be a hard, raised vein or tendon under my right armpit. It's a little sore and tender. It's not round like a pea but long. What could this be?

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 minutes later

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply. Thus it improves the satisfaction levels of both. Hence please answer the following:

1. How long has it been since it was tender?
2. Have you done any physical work lately or suffered from an injury?
3. Any history of fever with cough?
4. Does the swelling reduce when you move your hand around?

Please get back to me with these answers,

I am awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Raised hard sore vein under armpit. What is it? 43 minutes later
Hello and thanks for such a prompt reply.

I first noticed the tenderness a couple of hours ago. I have engaged in physical work today and I did in fact injure the shoulder years ago. However, I do not recall current symptoms and my job is a physically demanding one. I do not have a fever with a cough and I notice no change if moving my hand around. Symptoms are still the same.

It feels like a hard vein or tendon.

Again, thank you for such a quick response.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for providing the necessary details.

Based on your response, my first consideration is it might be an inflamed tissue – probably an inflamed tendon or muscle sprain. Infective condition or probably the physical exertion could have triggered the event.

The second less likely possibility is that it could be a focal inflammatory condition such as inflamed cyst/folliculitis, etc.

Anti-inflammatory drugs can benefit you now. You may try over the counter advil or motrin tablets (if you are not allergic to it) twice a day after food for 3-5 days. Meanwhile give adequate rest to the arm, use heat fomentation to the tender area and avoid lifting of heavy weights for a week.

The condition doesn’t seem to be a serious one and it should improve in a few days. However if the tenderness continues and you develop fever, then please XXXXXXX a physician for an examination. You may need antibiotics and other specific treatment.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health