Raised erythrocyte sedimentation rate,continuous allergy,ayurvedic treatment

ENT Specialist
I have raised ESR of 70 for last 40 years. current age 60. i am otherwise healthy. I get continuous allergy on my body almost for last 4 years. My husband is a medical doctor; and all Allopathic treatment and test were carried out. I tried AYURVEDIC treatment as well . no improvement. Can there be any relationship of high ESR and my allergy problem XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a nonspecific screening test for various diseases.

It is the measure of the distance (in millimeters) that red blood cells settle in unclotted blood toward the bottom of a specially marked test tube. There are various situations and medicines which can alter ESR.

ESR is usually more in females and increase with the age.

Persistent elevated levels are seen in conditions such as chronic anaemia, vasculitis (chronic inflammation of the blood vessels), certain thyroid disorders and other connective tissue disorders.

According to a recent study, persistent elevated ESR levels are noticed in obese females with asthma (

Also, certain drugs such as oral contraceptives, theophylline (used in asthma), and vitamin A can increase ESR.

In allergic conditions it is the eosinophils which increase in the blood.

ESR does not have a role in uncomplicated atopic conditions (predisposition toward developing certain allergic hypersensitivity reactions).

Certain conditions like Vasculitis causing chronic urticaria (skin allergy) can indeed raise the levels of ESR, but you have mentioned that all the tests were carried on you and no pathology found, so vasculitis is ruled out.

Thus, there is no relation between the raised ESR and your allergy, the probable cause of the elevated ESR in your body could be due to asthma and the medicines used.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar.