Raised bumps on labia majora. Itch when shaving, pain when picked at. Do I have HPV?

I have raised bumps on labia majora skin colored seem to be getting bigger they look like mole or warts but not quite like warts but i have 4 or five 2 inches apart in a are left side. They itch only when i shave and hurt when picked at? Idk if i have hpv or said doesnt look like it ive had them for a year.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 6 hours later
Hello ..Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your query with us.

The possibilities here may be:
1) Warts
2) Skin tags
3) Folliculitis

I will be able to help you better if you can share a few more things of history about the growth:
How long has it been since you have seen them?You say 1 year..does it mean you saw them all together or they came up one by one?

It will be helpful if you can upload the pictures of the growth( In good resolution) here.You can send them to YYYY@YYYY with the subject mentioned as
I will be eager to answer any follow-up questions you have.

Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Raised bumps on labia majora. Itch when shaving, pain when picked at. Do I have HPV? 15 hours later
They seemed to have shown up 3 at once then more appeared. I see them every day they have been there for almost a year. I got 2 shots of the vaccine for hpv ive had pelvic inflammatory disease before from chlamydia when i was 16 only std ive had. They are getting bigger and only itch whrn i shave and they irritate after intercourse. Weird, i feel something is really wrong with me.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 3 hours later

Thanks for following up.

I have gone through the uploaded picture. Although not very clear, the growths look like Warts. Skin tags also remains as a possibility.

I suggest you visit your dermatologist and remove them soon. The Warts have a tendency to be transmitted to your partner and to increase in number. You are gradually seeing their number increase and this will continue until the existing ones are removed. The process of removal is very simple. It can be removed in a single sitting with electrocautery. In case they are skin tags, the treatment remains same.

If you do not have any further clarifications, you may close this and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health,
Follow-up: Raised bumps on labia majora. Itch when shaving, pain when picked at. Do I have HPV? 3 hours later
Is it a virus? And how is it contracted if warts hair grows out of them and for skin tags will it.itch.or irritate? My partner hasnt contracted them yet. Or at all.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 1 hour later

It is a growth caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).Usually a virus is inoculated either from the surroundings or transmitted through sexual contact. The virus is there in the environment and gains entry through minor cuts and abrasions. Once inoculated, it multiplies and forms the growth we see as warts.

It does not have relation with hair growth, only that it might grow also in areas having hair follicles.
Warts and skin tags are usually asymptomatic .Some of them might get irritated due to friction, rubbing or be secondarily infected.

Skin tags are extra skin growths; one can choose not to treat them if they are not uncomfortable.

Your partner might not contract it at all. Alternatively, he might show the growth sometime later. Warts are visible after a length of time from the actual inoculation.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes,