Raised bump on neck, vomiting, nausea. What could this be?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I woke up the other day with the feeling that my neck was raw on one side looked in the mirror and there was raised big bumbs about the size of a quarter. They since have gone done and now look like purple welts. Its been a week and they are still there and now I cant stop coughing, have vomited and am nauseas. Please advise what this may be. I dont have insuance so seeing a doctor is not in my budget. Thank you
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 38 minutes later

As you have mentioned that you have noticed raised bumps on your neck which have become raw. On the basis of your description they could be blood filled swellings. Such blood filled swellings could be hemangiomas, vascular skin lesion, etc.

However, you will have to visit a doctor for clinical examination as it is not possible to diagnose the lesion without examination and relevant investigation.

The nausea, vomiting and cough could be a separate problem not related to the purple colored bumps.
Is the cough is not associated with sputum production, you can take saline gargles. This will have a soothing effect on the mucus membrane of the throat.

For the nausea and vomiting, you can take an antiemetic like Domperidone tablet after meals. Do consult your treating doctor for the prescription.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Raised bump on neck, vomiting, nausea. What could this be? 38 minutes later
These bumbs started off red and then turned purple and went down after a few days and have not changed since. This seemed to happen a week from being bit my a bug. Could that be the reason I have the "welts"?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the red colored lesions which turned purple could be due to bite of the bug.

The red lesions could be due to a vascular reaction to the bite.

Since, the lesions turned purple and then disappeared, they seem to be harmless.

However, if have any discomfort, you can take an anti-histaminic drug like Cetrizine.

If you have more queries, kindly post them.

Dr Shailja P Wahal