Radiation and chemo done after brain tumor removal. Started getting bitter taste in mouth. Concerned

Oncologist
Question
My sister had a brain tumour removed Nov 13 2013 and after that had radiation and chemo now she has a very bitter taste in her mouth , what can she do so she can eat better again ? XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.
Both radiation and chemo can cause change of taste sensation. The radiation induced change is pretty much permanent. There is no drug which can improve this.

What she can do is to have small and frequent meals, spiced adequately if that is not a problem, have lots of fruits and vegetables. Gradually she would become habituated to it.

I am afraid that is what I can suggest for now. I will be available for further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Radiation and chemo done after brain tumor removal. Started getting bitter taste in mouth. Concerned 1 hour later
So what you are saying that the bitterness will stay with her permanently?

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 hours later
Some of it will definitely go away with time but a part would remain.