Radiating pain in the shoulder to arm, nausea, headache, hypertension. Taking alieve and aciphex

General Surgeon
i am a 43 year old female. Having Pretty intense ache starting in shoulder radiating through Left upper arm, nauseated to the point of vomiting, headache, sudden high blood pressure ( goes higher if I'm up and moving around 163/107 was BP tonight was able to bring it down by being still to 146/98) this has been happening for a week. Taking Alieve every 2 1/2- 3 hrs also prescribed 1 tablet of 20 mg ACIPHEX.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later

Thanks for nice query.     

In a woman 43 years of age, pretty intense pain starting in shoulder, radiating to left upper arm appear to be due Cervical Spondylitis. As Cervical Spondylitis causes nerve compression that is the root cause of pain in the shoulder and left upper arm.

Cervical Spondylitis can also cause headache, vertigo, nausea and even vomiting in some patients .

Rise in blood pressure while standing, moving and coming down while lying down can be due many reasons, in some patients of cervical spondylitis it can also occur.

In such cases, opinion of Orthopedic Surgeon desirable and investigation in the form X-Ray or MRI of cervical spine may help to point the exact cause.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.